Following on from the new 'Carina Covets Cooking' feature on the blog, (we started with carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting) I'm now doing one of my favourite savoury dishes, Warm Cheese & Chorizo Tarts.
These tarts are so quick and easy to make, and the best bit is you can add or take away ingredients as you please, or customise each portion to fit each persons taste (the tart feeds 4 as a starter, 2 as a main). I always cheat and buy ready made puff pastry, how does the old mantra go? 'Life's too short to make your own pastry'!
425g Jus Rol Puff Pastry Sheets
100g Thinly Sliced Chorizo (can use Parma ham or other deli meats)
150-200g cheese (I use mature cheddar and goats cheese, but can use any mix of cheeses)
150g baby plum tomatos (I prefer not to half them, as I like whole roasted tomatoes)
1-2 large mushrooms, sliced
50g tomato purée
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large tray with baking parchment.
2. Unroll the room temperature pastry and place onto the lined tray.
3. Apply a generous layer of tomato purée to the pastry, leaving a 3cm edge around the pastry.
Scatter half the grated/torn cheese over the pasty topped with tomato puree. Then tear and scatter the chorizo (and/or other meats) over the base. Place the tomatoes and sliced mushrooms evenly over the base. Scatter the remaining cheese over the filling.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edge have puffed and turned golden brown.
5. Serve immediately with a rocket leaf salad and drizzle the tart and salad with balsamic vinegar.