Saturday, 18 June 2011
Carina Covets Cooking - Carrot Cake Cupcakes
How's that for alliteration, huh? I just couldn't help myself! Anyway, shall we get to the point of this post? Let's! When I've been making/baking/cooking recently, I've been posting the odd pic on facebook and twitter and getting LOTS of lovely people asking for recipes and ideas (and to send some food their way), so why not put it on the blog?
I'm starting the new 'Carina Covets Cooking' feature with these very delicious carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, which I made recently for a friend's baby shower. I'm going to come completely clean and say that the cake mix was from a packet, mainly because I had to bake these on a Friday night, while you were at the pub, drinking - so cut a girl some slack! I would usually use my trusty Hummingbird Bakery cookbook to make carrot cake, but here is my recipe for (cheats) carrot cake cupcakes (makes 16-20 cupcakes).
1 pack Betty Crocker Carrot Cake Mix
125 ml water
125 ml vegetable oil
4 medium eggs
400 grams icing sugar
50 grams unsalted butter
100 grams cream cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake tray with paper cupcake cases.
2. Beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a mixer or large bowl (30 seconds with an electric mixer on low speed). Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases, fill 3/4 of the case with the mix.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the tray and place onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
4. Beat icing sugar, butter and cream cheese in a mixer on a slow speed until evenly mixed and thick. If the frosting isn't thick enough to support a wooden spoon, add more icing sugar and mix again. Repeat until desired consistency.
5. Spoon the frosting on top of each cupcake and add any decoration. Allow for frosting to set (10 minutes).